Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Why Missionaries Leave for Two Years

Hey guys!!! Well from all the letters it sounds like you guys are all pretty much super stars and kick some trash in everything!! I'm glad i could pass along all of my soccer and scouting (and Dancing for Kendall) skills to all of you!:) And thanks a ton Dad for sending me my patriarchal blessing, i've been DYING to read it again so thanks a lot! And also i loved your letter! The little every day thing is really cool! Kendall does that to and i think it's sweet! And I was able to learn a lot reading about what you're teaching in seminary. And the pictures that mom sent me of Kendall and Audrey are the best! Audrey's too stinkin' cute. And Kendall... i guess you are too:) but i LOVE getting pictures and videos from you guys, just throwing that out there. The more pictures the better.

Well it's been another great week here in Monclova! On Tuesday, the week started off with divisions with Elder Harrington, we went to his area right after the Zone meeting and Elder Vera (our DL) went with Lopez in my area for the day. We had a lot of good lessons with the investigators in the area but Elder Harrington speaks basically no spanish at all so it was nice for once being the companion that knows more Spanish. Haha, then we met up with Lopez and Vera that night and as we were walking back a bunch of people were telling me and Elder Harrington congratulations, but we had no idea why... but comes to find out that the U.S beat Mexico in soccer! wooh!!!! Haha, but it was just funny because we were so confused as to why people kept congratulating us. But when Elder Lopez and I got back to the house guess what we found under his bed... a rat!!! But then it ran and hid somewhere in the room and we have yet to find it.... i'm just hoping it's not in my stuff anywhere. Haha, then Wednesday was another good day and we had a really good lesson with Emma and her family and also with a recent convert Ivan and his family who we are also teaching. And it was Ivan's birthday too, he turned 13 so he invited us over for cake and tamales. His dad doesn't really like us being there and so it's always a little awkward when we go over, but his mom and his sister and him all love us so i think for that reason his dad kinda has backed out a little bit. But his mom came to church yesterday for the first time so that was sweet!! So did Fer (the 14 year old who we are teaching through Lolita who is a recent convert) and the WHOLE family of Emma. So in total we had 9 investigators in church yesterday which was way cool! So now Emma has.. 7 times in the church, and her family 3. So hopefully ina few weeks they will choose to get baptized! But we don't want to push anything because they're a little stubborn in a few things. But they're a super super super cool family and they seriously love us! Now we're just trying to get them to love the gospel more, but they are progressing a ton, just need a little bit more work. And we still haven't gotten them to say anything to us about the fact they aren't married, so we are working on how to address that so we can help marry them. Because i think i already mentioned this but the family in who gave us the reference told us that they aren't married, but Emma's parents don't know that we know that... so that's the tricky part. But guys... this ward is seriously a little on the crazy side. I mean there's a lot of good people in the ward, but seriously every single class and lesson ends up in an argument! It gets pretty uncomfortable, like half the room will be arguing and then the younger half will be laughing because the others are arguing. It's seriously the most interesting ward i've ever been in. But yesterday it started to rain a tonnnn, and it still hasn't stopped! We actually had a little bit of water come in the house overnight but luckily none of our stuff got wet. But it's been nice with the rain because it's made the temperature drop a ton! 

Well yesterday we got to church and Bishop decided to assign us to talk! Haha, you always gotta be prepared on a mission. So I wasn't really sure what I wanted to talk about when i got up there but it actually ended up being really good! My best talk i've given here for sure. And i may or may have not cried a little bit... Haha it's because the ward choir sang 'A Child's prayer' before my talk, and that made me think of the little guys, and then in my talk i was talking about eternal families and yeah... so it's all your guys' fault!! Haha, but really I was thinking about you guys a ton this past week, like every other week. And the more I think about it the more I feel grateful for God's plan that he's given us to allow families to be together after death. Because it wouldn't make sense at all to live your life with them making you so happy just to have it end when we die... And that knowledge has been one of my biggest motivators in my mission. I feel like God has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of families who need this message specifically, who need the knowledge and hope of God's great plan. There's a quote that I heard in the MTC that I LOVE, that I can't remember if i've saidbefore or not... but it's 

''Missionaries leave their families for 2 years, so that other families can be together for eternity.'''

And that's been one of my biggest motivators for me in my mission so far, because there's not a day that i don't think about you guys, and for me it hasn't been all that easy to be away from you guys, because you guys are the best and i miss you guys a tonnnnn! But the knowledge that I can be an instrument for God to help other families have the same happiness and knowledge that we have has helped me so much. And being able to find the families that God has prepared for this has been an incredible miracle for me to see, and for all of them who now have a new hope and happiness in their life. And that makes EVERYTHING worth it.

Well i love you guys a ton!! And I hope you all have a great week!!!:)

Elder Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment